History & Description of St Peters Church, Swingfield
Kent Peg-Tiled roof is supported by the original Kentish oak tie-beams
and crown posts. A medieval rood-loft spanned the Chancel arch
before 1560. The only evidence remaining of this is the deep recess
in the wall to accommodate the stairs to the loft which is adjacent
to the present Pulpit.
Two of the original Norman 12th century windows survive in the
end walls of the north aisle. These were originally in the north
wall of the Nave and were moved during the alterations in 1870.
The windows in the south frontage of the nave all vary in age
and architectural style. Starting west to east, they are 15thc
Square headed ‘Perpendicular’, 14thc ‘Decorated‘,
13thc ‘Early English’. The Chancel windows are 13thc
style ‘Lancets’ replaced during the 19thc restoration,
replacing the original 13thc ‘Perpendicular’ style
‘which were decayed‘. Above the ‘Lancets’
in the east end is an ‘Oculus’ window. The glass is
mainly all plain with the exception of some late memorial windows,
one in the south wall of the nave c.1930 and one above the west
door in the tower c.1954.