History & Description of St Peters Church, Swingfield
On the slab of
John Simons is an inscription in crude verse and an incised sheild
of arms. An achievment of arms is incised into both Pilcher slabs.
There are also two white marble memorial tablets for Mary Pilcher
The 19thc Organ,
is a two manual instrument of no great musical interest but is
described as being ‘tonally diverse’. It was moved
from the Chancel to its present position in the Nave during the
1970s and was in regular use until the Church closed in 2000.
The Pews are stained pine 19thc and the choir stalls date from
surviving church registers comprise mixed records of Baptisms,
Marriage and Burials dating from 1698 and Diocesan transcripts
dating from 1563. A list of incumbents from 1518 is also recorded.
All records being retained at the Diocesan Records Office in Canterbury.