History & Description of St Peters Church, Swingfield
Peters is a plain 12th century Norman Church. It is built with
local materials, mainly flint with ragstone, patched in places
with later brickwork. Originally it consisted of a rectangular
Nave with a small square Chancel. The Chancel was doubled in length
during the 13th century. A timber and tiled Porch was added to
the south Doorway during the 14th century. The Tower was constructed
in the 15th century. It is first recorded in 1550 that there were
three bells installed in the tower. The north aisle is Victorian
and was added as recently as 1870.
The fine tiled
oak Lychgate was constructed in 1920 as a memorial to seven men
of the Parish who gave their lives in the 1914 - 1918 war.
Four further names were added in 1946 to mark their sacrifice
in the 1939 - 1945 war. All eleven are recorded on the gateway.
The cost of this memorial was raised by public subscription.